For me, happiness that lasts comes from being and feeling connected to my inner self, when my mind and heart feel at peace and in acceptance with all aspects of myself, especially the parts of myself that I don't like. Happiness comes when I am comfortable in my own skin and therefore more accepting and compassionate of others and the parts of them that I may not necessarily like either.
What is important to remember is that happiness, when attached to something or someone outside ourselves, can come and go, as nothing outside of us is stable or permanent.
Many try to sell happiness in a bottle, in a pill, in a wardrobe, in a restaurant, in a relationship or in things, to name just a few. Yes, these can give a temporary "fix" but they are fake happinesses that do not last. And they leave us hungry and searching for the next "fix" or Band Aid.
Happiness, in my experience, comes from within. And when it comes from within, it doesn't go anywhere. When happiness comes from within, yes it can last.
Here are some tips to maintaining this inner connection and happiness within:
- Adopt an attitude of being willing to be open, and accepting what each situation is in the moment, instead of what we think it should be.
- Feel more, think less.
- Listen more, talk less.
- Accept more, judge less.
- Appreciate more, complain less.
- Love and care more, fear less.
- Trust yourself more, doubt less.
- Become your own best friend first, don't wait around for others to fill your expectations.
- Practice being a witness to the movie of your life.
- Be kind and compassionate with yourself and others.
The inner smile is always available to us but it's up to us to choose to see it and experience it.
Happy happiness day!
Love, Nilanthi Dayananda